- 8 ounces dried sorrel
- 2 cinnamon sticks (each approximately 3 inches long)
- 1 piece orange peel (fresh or dried, approximately 3 by 1-inch)
- 12 whole cloves
- 10 -12 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar (or more to taste. Granulated will give a better colour.)
- 1⁄4 cup rum (or more, to your taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Bring 10 cups of water to a boil then add the sorrel, sugar, cinnamon stick, whole cloves and orange peel and stir continuously while the mixture boils for one minute.
- Cool and cover with foil or plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature to steep for 2 hours or overnight.
- Taste for strength and sweetness. If it is too potent, add water or if too tart add more sugar. Strain the liquid through a fine sieve into a jar and refrigerate. (Discard the spices left in the sieve). NB. The sorrel will stain so use a non-reactive glass jar or bowl. Don’t use plastic.
- For the adult version:
- Add the rum. Cool and strain through a fine sieve into a jar. Discard the spices left in the sieve.
Garnish to your heart’s desire.