- ½ pound salted codfish, skinless and boneless
- 6-8 green figs (aka green bananas, about 2 pounds)
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables, defrosted and drained
- ½ large yellow (red or orange) sweet pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- ½ cup mayo (for a creamier salad use 1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic (1 whole and 1 grated)
- ½ small onion, grated
- 2 sprigs parsley, finely chopped (for garnish)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash the green figs. Cut off the top and bottom and slice skin lengthwise. Bring about 8-10 cups of water in a large pot to boil. Add one clove of garlic and the green fig. Boil 10-20 minutes until fork tender.
- HINT: While the green figs are boiling, rinse salted fish. In a small pot, add about 2 cups of water and salted fish. Boil for 5 minutes. Drain and repeat a second time. Drain boiled salted fish
- Remove skins, and dice. Use a fork mash one of the figs.
- Flake saltfish using fingers or fork. Dice sweet pepper, scallions and parsley. Grate one clove of garlic and onion.
- In a large bowl, add chopped green figs, mixed vegetables, diced sweet peppers, chopped scallions, grated onion, grated garlic and mayo, and of course the salt fish. Mix well. Add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Garnish with parsley.